Too many automated "fills", how to remove?

For some reason, I have two monthly fills occurring, both for the same amount.
One is listed as “Fill envelopes” and the other is “Monthly Fill (Multiple).”

I do not want both, just one (either is fine). I’m not sure how a duplicate fill was created and is reoccuring; and I am not sure how to permanently remove it so that it doesn’t keep happening (rather than just deleting the transaction each month).

Help!

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble! If you’re on the website, you can remove the duplicate fill by clicking on the transaction line item, and then on delete on the right side of the screen.

Hope that helps!

To add to Karisa’s note, be sure you’re on the “show all transactions” page on the web. Your Fills, Income, Payments, Transfers and Debts will be grouped together there. You should see both fills, and deleting one there will keep it from recurring.
Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi Tiffany,
I have the same problem as the person who started this thread. I had too many fills and then started by adding new ones, but then I decided to go back and delete all of the “extra” fills and edit the original monthly fill. This really messed up all of my envelopes because the monthly fill was not filling automatically (even though I scheduled it) because it was in the past (does that make sense?). is there a way to do this without having to go in and do it for every month:

Example:
I started with goodbudget in August, first fill was 9/1
that one did not work automatically because there was an issue back then with GB envelope autofill.
on 10/1 it also did not fill automatically, not sure why, so I did it manually. Then I realized I had not budgeted for other expenses I had so I added two new ones.
11/1 - it did go automatically but the others that I added did not (because I forgot to schedule them).

So now I want to delete all of the fills and start over in September, but when I tried that it didn’t repeat retroactively. how do I make it do this without having to go and create one for each month that are exactly the same?

If there isn’t a way to do this retroactively, is there a way to copy a fill from month to month? and then do another fill that now continues into the future?

Sorry this is so confusing.
Carmel

This will be a long-winded answer…
So I think there are a couple of different things going on, but I think we can do a work-around for the past and most definitely fix the future. I will ABSOLUTELY recommend you make these changes on the web and not from within the app, because you’ll have some additional functionality that will serve you well.
My first question is whether you need to correct your old Fills, because if you can live with multiples in the past then I’d just leave them alone. If you’ve already deleted some though, you’ll need to recreate something close so you can have an approximation of where you were then in order to get to today. If you have ANY past fill, you can adjust it (easiest!!) but otherwise you’ll have to add new.
Part 1: To insert retroactive Fills, you can create the Fill that you want, set the date to 9/1/21, name it something, click “Remember Quick Fill As” with “Correction” as the name and save it. After today you won’t use that one again. The Fill for 9/1 should drop into your ledger.
Part 2: Click Fill Envelopes again. Fill from Unallocated, change the date to 10/1, and then choose “Correction” from the “Choose a Quick Fill” drop down list. Repeat this process for 11/1 and 12/1. This should update your envelopes for the past, although you may need to make minor adjustments if you wish.
Part 3: Going forward—go back to the Fill Envelopes tab again. Set up your monthly Fill with a date of 1/1/22, be sure to click the “Schedule This” box and choose monthly, click “Remember Quick Fill” and give it a name. Now you can choose the last Quick Fill (the one named “correction”) that populates each envelope with the same amounts you used for the previous months, and make any adjustments you need for the future. Once you Save this one, it will adjust your envelopes on the same date every month per your instructions until you edit it.
Sorry this is so long!! It’s a bit of a process to fix old errors, but the future will be very automated and easy. If you need screen shots of any of these steps, please let me know.
Hope this helps!!

Hi Tiffany,
thank you so much for this detailed solution. I did all of this and now there are only 5 fills sinced August. However, the transactions from December are not complete. For example: see the image attached - I have a car payment of $225 on the 12/15 and GB doesn’t seem to think it has been paid yet. Ack! This happened for many of my scheduled transactions (or the transaction occurred, but now the envelope is still full?). Any ideas?

What this is telling me mostly is that your sequence of events is out of order, or there’s an extra fill still. It sounds like you’re expecting that Envelope to be 0, because you already paid it, so that means that there’s an additional fill in there somewhere that’s adding extra money.

If you click on that Envelope you should be able to see the transaction history and running balance changes, and that should help you narrow down where the extra one might be.

1 Like

It sounds like maybe the envelope was overfilled, and/or a payment was accidentally deleted.
For the car payment example, I would go into the Account side and click on that debt account (if it’s a Debt setup). Check to see if there’s a payment for every month. If not, you can add the missing payment which should clean up the envelope. If all the payments are there, go back to the Envelope and see if there was ever a balance of twice as much as you expected, indicating an overfill. (Again, this is easier on the web because it shows a running balance where the app, at least in iOS, does not)
I think one of those two issues will probably get it sorted. Here’s hoping!

When I search for fill, there’s only the ones that I have just created, so I’m thinking it’s not that. But I will look again. Thank you so much for your idea.

Those are really good ideas tiffany -

How do I go about “going back to the envelope and seeing if there was ever a balance of twice as much as I expected?” I know this happened at some point in the past, so I think this is the culprit. I just don’t know how to see envelope balances from the past. I can see them now, and the fills that occurred, but how do I put them back to see what they were on a certain date?

thanks again for all of your help

I think I figured it out - thanks for all of your help. Both of you. @alex and @Tiffany

Just in case you’re doing something differently (or others have the same question) I would use the web version because it shows a running total. Just scroll back to that date and see the balance at that time. In this example, you can see that this account had a balance of 11.79, then a “Fill” on 10/28 added 100.00 for a new total of 111.79. Had there been an overfill, the balance would be too high at that point. Does that help?