Set or Add?

What do other GB users do with their regular fills: set or add? I have mine on Add right now because I wanted my paycheck to predictibly allocate. But now I’m wondering if Set would be more useful for my monthly expenses. If I spend less, it would automatically sweep the overflow into my savings envelope. Now I would have to do that manually. But maybe manual is better since it would give me more control. I’m interested to hear what other users do and why.

I personally choose to use add for all my envelopes. I like the control I have with this and many of my envelope amounts will vary month to month so if I have more in a given envelope than my budget that works good when I end up going over my budget in a particular month.

1 Like

I manually fill my Envelopes each month, rather than scheduling a fill, so I often do a mix of add and set. For example, I’ll often set my PG&E Envelope to match the new bill amount, or I’ll add the budgeted amount to Eating Out if there are leftovers from the previous month that I want to keep.

1 Like

I also use both, although I’m primarily a Set person. For my main categories (Dining Out, Entertainment, Fixed Expenses, Gas, Groceries, Household and Unforeseen) I Set my budget each month to the amount I’ve allocated to myself. I often go over in some categories, but I have enough buffer in Unallocated that it’s not a problem. For things like Petty Cash and of course savings I use Add so that those balances will accrue rather than reset.
I don’t use a “borrowing from next month” philosophy anymore because our Unallocated funds are well over a month’s budget now (thanks GoodBudget!!)

2 Likes

I use Add for all of my envelopes so that I know I am filling them with a fixed about each month. Every couple of months, I’ll go through and transfer between envelopes if there are some that are too full or too empty. I’m noticing a pattern with a particular envelope, I’ll go and edit my budget.

2 Likes

Becky’s method is exactly what I do :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for your responses. Becky, I like your technique. That’s what I’ll do for the time being. Hopefully soon I’ll have an unallocated cushion like Tiffany, and then I’ll switch to set.

1 Like