Reconcile "Invisible" deposits

I closed two investment accounts at my bank and moved the funds to my checking. At the end of the month, the bank showed my new balance in checking (which included the deposits), but it didn’t show the two deposit transactions. It’s as if the money came from nowhere. As a result, even though my balance matches what the bank shows, I don’t know how to reconcile the two deposits. I tried some instructions that I found on this site, but that didn’t work. Can you help?

I think you have two options: the first (and my preference) would be to record a deposit or a transfer (if you were also tracking that account) in Goodbudget to reflect the new money. It doesn’t have to correlate with a specific line item from your bank.
The second would be to do a balance adjustment of your checking account to reflect the difference, but this can be a little trickier and won’t explain why there’s a difference.
Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Just to add onto Tiffany’s note – if you choose to manually adjust your Account balance to take into account the new deposits, that action will actually generate a transaction line (it’ll be called “Updated [Account Name]”) and you can rename that transaction to say what it was. So either way should work, it’s totally up to you!

2 Likes