Monthly Reset

I am in my second month using Goodbudget, and liking it a lot. However, my monthly envelopes don’t seem to have reset at March 1, which means it looks like going over budget on many things, since the envelopes are calculating all the back to February, when I set up the accounts.

Did you create a Fill to top-up your envelopes? The envelopes and accounts are cumulative over time. You allocate money to envelopes, spend it, add more, etc.

1 Like

Like Kurt says, you’ll probably want to create a scheduled Fill that brings your envelopes back to their “starting points” on the first of each month. If you don’t have enough money in the Available pot, you’ll need to fill your most important envelopes first then add more money when you receive income during the month. Some people choose to do a Fill with each paycheck, and others just put it all into Available (formerly called Unallocated) so they can use it when needed.
If you do choose to fill your envelopes with money you haven’t received yet, your Available balance will be in the red. You certainly can do it this way, but you’d have to be diligent about making sure you don’t spend money that you don’t yet have.

1 Like