How to record a loan to someone

Is it possible to record an incoming loan? I bought an expensive item for a family member and need to keep track of payments coming back in.

Hi Loudish,
That’s an interesting question. I don’t think GoodBudget has a built-in feature for that, but may I suggest a work-around?
Create an envelope in your Goals section named for the loan, but with a zero balance and no scheduled fills or transactions. Record the payment for the large item in that envelope; after all, it wasn’t part of your monthly budgeted spending. That will give it a red balance that won’t change at the start of the next budget cycle. Then as you receive reimbursements, “Fill” them into that envelope until the balance is $0. Then you can delete the envelope if you choose (the payments will remain in GB).
Would that work for you?
Tiffany

2 Likes

Hi Tiffany,
Thank you! That’s the first time I’ve created and used a Goal envelope. I think that will work really well :slight_smile:
Best, Loudish

I do the same thing with a regular envelope. All repayments are put into that envelope and paid back to zero. An excellent way to use an envelope with a zero fill amount to track other’s repayment, and shows where and how the money is being replaced in the future. No need for fancy workarounds. Cheers!