Do envelopes grow if you don't spend it all?

Hey Team,

New to the platform and couldn’t find an answer before I spent time filling a bunch of stuff in.

1st Question: If we budget $200 weekly for groceries and don’t spend it all, does the remaining balance roll over to the next week? (This is relevant for expenses like travel and gifts)

2nd Question, can we overdraw weekly expenses and have them fill up from negative balances as the weeks go on - again relevant for travel and such.

Thanks so much for the help!

Welcome!! The answer to both of your questions is Yes! To the first, I should mention that in addition to setting up your budget you’ll also need to set up Fills to put money in each envelope. In those fills, you’ll decide whether to Add a predetermined amount of money (which allows your leftovers to carry over) or Set the fill so it will just add enough to bring your envelope to its budgeted total.
Second, you can definitely be in the red in envelopes, but if you’ve assigned all your money this could lead to overdrafts in real life.
Hope that helps!!

1 Like

Thanks so much! Wonderful!

It seems that even though our envelopes are set to ‘add’ the additional money left over just rolled into ‘unalocated’ money for the following month. Is there a way to keep the surplus in each of the envelopes?

That’s an odd behavior. If your Fill is marked to Add money to the envelope, it should do just what you describe—add the amount noted to each envelope regardless of how much is in it at the time. This may leave you with less than the budgeted amount (if you were overdrawn) or more, if you “rolled over” money from the last month.
Do you possibly have scheduled fills that aren’t given Add instructions? Or if you have scheduled fills, are the future instructions to Add? Do you use Add for every envelope, or are some envelopes contributing to the Unallocated while others draw from it?

It appears that all the envelopes are set to ‘add’ as we want, is there a something that we are doing to sends the surplus to unallocated?

It should be doing what you want if everything is an “Add” instruction. I attached a screenshot of my Fill with everything marked “Set” except Entertainment. You don’t possibly have them reversed do you? If not, I’d ask the Admins to take a look at your account.