Correcting account balance - how to

Real-world problem: I have an old credit card account whose balance is wrong (should be zero), and there’s no way without many hours figuring out where in past years it got off. Trying to figure out the cleanest way to correct this.

I can`t fill envelopes because that amount has to go into an envelope, which will then be wrong.

If I delete the account, will that affect my envelopes or Unallocated amount? If so, what else can I do? Am I doomed for this to be wrong for all of eternity?

I think you’ll be ok before eternity comes :slight_smile:
If your monthly reports aren’t terribly important, or if you can ignore one month’s data, then what I’d do is enter an Income transaction for the incorrect balance directly to the card account. That will leave your bank account(s) at their accurate totals, and your credit card at Zero where it should be. Your income/expenditure reports will be off because of the fake money, so if that’s a concern you may need another solution, but if that’s not a big part of your budgeting this will make your totals correct.
If you DO use your monthly in/out reports I’ll try to think of another solution that works.
Hope that helps!

Hi there! Thanks for posting! Another thing you can try that might be cleaner is to manually adjust the account balance to zero rather than adding in a fake income.

You can manually adjust your account balance on the website by clicking on Add/Edit on the Accounts tab. From there, update your Balance and save your changes when you’re done.

Hope that helps!