Budgeting for Irregular Property Taxes

Dear Goodbudget,

My situation is as follows: I pay property taxes six times a year. Usually, the taxes are due on the first or second day of the following months: March, June, July, August, September, and October.

Because the above payment schedule is somewhat unusual, I wasn’t sure how to budget for the taxes. It doesn’t seem to fall into the category of monthly, every two months, annual, etc.

Do you have any suggestions for how I might incorporate these taxes into my budget?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Personally, since at least for the June-October period it seems to be a monthly expense, I would just set it as a Monthly Envelope, and from December-March when you’re not actively needing those funds you can just leave the Envelope empty and not Fill it again until Feb/Mar.

But you could also do it as an Annual Envelope (with the total yearly amount) or one of the mid-term Envelopes. The best choice probably depends on what makes the most sense to you, I don’t know if there’s a single “right” answer here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

I make annual envelopes for those types of expenses. Some call this a “sinking” fund. This has worked well for me.
I like the notion of separating saving for bills and paying bills. I`m going to do this for my entire budget in 2021.